Lots of at this time’s most profitable software program firms, from Atlassian and Datadog to Zoom, subscribe to the bottom-up SaaS go-to-market mannequin. On this mannequin, the consumer purchases software program instantly from an internet site, with out ever chatting with a sales particular person. The product primarily sells itself.
The underside-up mannequin has just a few key advantages: Corporations spend dramatically much less on gross sales than their friends, permitting them to take a position extra in product; they’ll maintain hypergrowth for longer as a result of they don’t seem to be as reliant on uncooked gross sales headcount to win enterprise; and so they are typically extra worthwhile in the long term, resulting in premium valuations.
For all these causes, an increasing number of SaaS startups are selecting to undertake the bottom-up go-to-market mannequin. However for each Atlassian or Zoom, there are lots of extra firms that fail — actually because they don’t perceive the hidden challenges and prices that include the bottom-up mannequin.
Earlier than continuing additional, it’s essential to notice that bottom-up just isn’t the suitable beginning technique for each firm. A couple of fast methods to see if bottom-up is the suitable place to begin for you:
- Product: Individuals can simply attempt your product.
- Choice-maker: Your decision-maker is a line-level worker (not C-Suite).
- Customers: Groups and people can get worth out of your product (doesn’t should be full enterprise roll-out).
- Information: The info concerned isn’t one thing that compliance would want to evaluation.
For firms that meet these standards, there are three essential questions that you will need to be capable to reply:
- Who must work collectively to make a bottom-up SaaS mannequin work?
- What’s the worth you ship to your buyer and the way do you establish pricing that matches that worth?
- When do you rent a gross sales crew? (Spoiler alert — it’s earlier than you suppose!)
On this piece, we’ll sort out every of these questions in flip and share a number of the finest solutions we’ve seen from firms which are making it work.
Who must work collectively to make a bottom-up SaaS mannequin work?
Not like most conventional firms who depend on a head of gross sales to maintain tabs on clients and the way a lot each is paying, most profitable bottom-up firms depend on a mix of product, gross sales, buyer assist, advertising and marketing and group groups to handle income.